The Illinois State Museum System will reopen our flagship facility and Research and Collections Center in Springfield, and the Dickson Mounds Museum in Lewistown effective Tuesday, January 26, 2021. The ISM Lockport Gallery in Lockport remains closed under Tier 3 mitigations for the northern region of the State. The Illinois State Museum will continue to offer free admission across all locations. Hours of operations are Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. except for the Research and Collections Center, which will operate by appointment only Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The ISM Lockport Gallery is located in the historic Norton Building in the heart of the Illinois and Michigan Canal National Heritage Corridor, the Lockport Gallery is a popular destination and convenient docking point to access other local attractions. Extend your stay in Lockport and explore the diverse historic, cultural, and recreational opportunities nearby.
- changing art exhibitions
- school and group tours
- special events and programs
- historic setting
- easy access and free parking
- All visitors (over age two who can medically tolerate a mask) will be required to wear a face covering at all times. All masks must be made from a solid material, preferably with more than one layer, and cannot have exhalation valves or vents.
- All visitors have their temperature taken (contactless) and answer a few health questions.
- Visitors are asked to distance themselves at least 6 feet from those in other parties and to refrain from touching surfaces wherever possible.
- No food, beverages (other than water in a sealed container), gum or candy are allowed in the museum.
- Backpacks are not allowed in the galleries.
- The Gallery does not have food or eating facilities.
Located in the heart of the Illinois and Michigan Canal National Heritage Corridor, the Lockport Gallery is a popular destination and convenient docking point to access other local attractions. Extend your stay in Lockport and explore the diverse historic, cultural, and recreational opportunities nearby.
- Illinois & Michigan Canal (opened 1848)
- recreation trail
- historic sites and exhibits
- nature preserve
- downtown shopping and dining