Use of text, images and other content on this website are subject to the following terms and conditions:
CONTENT IS PROTECTED BY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAWS
Text and image files, audio and video clips, and other content on this website is the property of the Illinois State Museum and may be protected by copyright and other restrictions as well. Copyrights and other proprietary rights in the content on this website may also be owned by individuals and entities other than, and in addition to, the Illinois State Museum. ISM expressly prohibits the copying of any protected materials on this website, except for the purposes of fair use as defined in the copyright law, and as described below.
FAIR USE IS PERMITTED
Fair use of copyrighted material includes the use of protected materials for non-commercial educational purposes, such as teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, commentary, and news reporting. Unless otherwise noted, users who wish to download or print text and image files from this Web site for such uses may do so without the ISM's express permission, provided that they comply with the following conditions:
- The content may only be used for personal, educational or noncommercial purposes;
- Users must cite the author and source of the content as they would material from any printed work;
- The citation must include all copyright information and other information associated with the content and the URL for the Illinois State Museum website;
- None of the content may be altered or modified;
- Users must comply with all other terms or restrictions which may be applicable to the individual file, image or text;
By downloading, printing, or otherwise using text and image files from this website, users agree and warrant that they will limit their use of such files to fair use and will comply with all other terms and conditions of this license, and will not violate the rights of the Illinois State Museum or any other person or entity. The Illinois State Museum does not warrant that use of the text, images and content displayed on the website will not infringe the rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with the Illinois State Museum.
COMMERCIAL USE IS RESTRICTED
Unauthorized commercial publication or exploitation of text, images or content of this website is specifically prohibited. Anyone wishing to use any of these files or images for commercial use, publication, or any purpose other than fair use as defined by law, must request and receive prior written permission from the Illinois State Museum. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the Illinois State Museum. A usage fee may be assessed depending on the type and nature of the proposed use. email email@example.com ISM's Officer of Product Development and Licensing
Many of the trademarks, service marks, and logos (collectively, the "Trademarks") displayed on the website, including the ISM and the "since 1877" logo, are registered and/or unregistered common law trademarks of the ISM. The trademarks of third parties may also be displayed on this Web site. Nothing contained in this website should be construed as granting, by implication or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademarks displayed on the website without the express written permission of the ISM or any third party that may own the Trademarks displayed on the site. Any unauthorized use of the Trademarks or any other images or content on this website, except as authorized in these Terms and Conditions, is strictly prohibited.
The text, images and content on the website are provided "as is" without a warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular use, and/or non-infringement. The Illinois State Museum assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for any damage to or viruses that may infect your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the site or your downloading of any text, images or content from the website.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
Some Illinois State Museum websites contain links to third party websites. The linked sites are not under the control of the Smithsonian Institution and the Illinois State Museum is not responsible for the contents of any linked website. These links are provided as a convenience only and shall not be construed as an endorsement of, sponsorship of, or affiliated with the linked website by the Illinois State Museum.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- MAY I PUT UNALTERED IMAGES, TEXT OR CONTENT FROM THIS WEBSITE ON A CLOSED AND RESTRICTED DATABASE AT MY SCHOOL OR MUSEUM?
- Yes, if there is no charge for the user and if electronic distribution is limited to educational use for a specific purpose or limited duration. The images must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration, and the citation should include the URL specified above.
- MAY I PUT UNALTERED IMAGES, TEXT OR CONTENT FROM THIS WEBSITE ON MY PERSONAL WEBSITE?
- Yes, so long as the site displays no advertisements and no sponsors, does not charge a fee for services, and does not offer any product or service for sale. The images must remain unaltered, and all of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration, and the citation should include the URL specified above.
- MAY I PUT IMAGES, TEXT OR CONTENT FROM THIS WEBSITE ON ANOTHER GENERAL ACCESS WEBSITE OR CD-ROM?
- No, unless permission has been obtained in advance from the Illinois State Museum.
- MAY I PRINT SELECTED IMAGES OR TEXT EXCERPTS FROM THIS WEBSITE FOR A SCHOOL REPORT?
- Yes, if it is a personal or academic work, and not for publication in any medium. The images must remain unaltered, and all of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration. This type of use is encouraged; all other forms of publication are expressly prohibited.
- HOW DO I OBTAIN PERMISSION FOR OTHER FORMS OF PUBLICATION?
- Anyone wishing to use the text, images or content from this website for purposes other than as authorized herein must obtain prior written approval. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the Illinois State Museum. A usage fee may be charged depending on the nature of the proposed use. email firstname.lastname@example.org
Image Rights and Reproduction Guidelines
For permission to reproduce or use the materials on this website for other than educational, non-profit and fair use purposes, please use the guidelines below.
The purpose of the Illinois State Museum’s image reproduction policy is to provide orderly, controlled distribution of images from the Museum’s photographic collection. The benefits to the Museum in reproduction of these images include increasing public awareness of the museum’s collections and programing, and providing scholarly analysis and enrichment of educational experiences. Additionally, this policy insures that the images made available are of the highest quality and conform to current museum standards and practices.
- Requests for images from the archives at the Illinois State Museum should be submitted using the Photo Permission Form, which can be obtained from Photographic Services, Illinois State Museum, 502 South Spring Street, Springfield, IL 62706 or email@example.com.
- If permission to use an image is granted, the individual, business, corporation, nonprofit institution, or governmental agency will abide by the terms and conditions outlined in the Image Reproduction Policy.
- Permission to use an image is restricted to one-time use only for nonexclusive worldwide rights in all languages. Additional uses of the same image will require further permission.
- Credit line to appear next to the image will read: Courtesy Illinois State Museum, photographer (name, if available); or Collection of the Illinois State Museum, photographer: (name, if available).
- The Illinois State Museum requires one complimentary copy of any publication in which images from the Museum archives appear to be sent to Photographic Services at the address listed above.
- For information on reproduction costs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Illinois State Museum reserves the right to review text descriptions of the images used for correctness of description and other accuracy issues.
- Illinois State Museum reserves the right to limit or restrict the use of certain images, e.g., those protected by copyright, under restrictions imposed by donor, unpublished, etc.
- Digital images cannot be altered through cropping, color varying, bleeding, etc. in any way without the express written permission of the Illinois State Museum. Digital images cannot be distorted.
- Formats provided include digital (high and low resolution) color slide or tranparency, black and white and color prints.