- Dickson Mounds, Lewistown
Join us for the annual Fulton-Mason Eagle Day event. Activities include live raptor programs, hands-on activities and crafts for kids, and bird watching in various locations in Lewistown and Havana, Illinois. The event is FREE and for all ages.
Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N. Dickson Mounds Road, Lewistown, from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- World Bird Sanctuary's Raptor Awareness programs will be held at 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. in the Dickson Mounds auditorium. Tickets will be available on a first come, first served basis, beginning at 9:00 a.m. at Dickson Mounds, the day of the event. Tickets cannot be reserved in advance. Seating is limited. Admission is free.
- The new temporary exhibit, Audubon: The Birds of America, Prints from The Collection of the Illinois State Museum, opens for viewing.
- Arts & crafts and science activities, including chemistry, wetlands, and waterfowl
- Native and invasive species displays
- Food available for purchase courtesy of the Lunchwagon
- Spotting scope stations for viewing active bald eagle nests
The Nature Conservancy's Emiquon Preserve, Lakeside Observatory, off Hwy 97/78, dawn-dusk
- Self-guided wildlife viewing & walking trails
Havana Park District's Chester Center, 200 S. McKinley Street, Havana, from 9:00 a.m.-noon.
- Wildlife Prairie Park's Birds of Prey, live exhibit
- Community exhibits and activities
- Havana Public Library
Havana Park District Nature Center, 416 N. Schrader St., Havana, from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Wildlife Viewing
- Simulated Eagle's nest & kid's craft activities
Chautauqua National Wildlife Refuge, 19031 E CR 2110N, Havana, IL, dawn-dusk
- Self guided eagle-watching on refuge nature trails
- Auto-tour is closed indefinitely because of flood damage
Activities at some locations are weather permitting.
Sponsored by Ameren, Forbes and Illinois River Biological Stations, Illinois State Museum-Dickson Mounds, Therkildsen Field Station at Emiquon, The Nature Conservancy, USFWS Illinois River Refuges Complex, Havana National Bank, Havana Park District, Havana Public Library, Lewistown Chamber of Commerce, and Plum Hill Vacation Rental Properties. Activities and displays contributed by the Astoria High School's Environmental Club, Emiquon Corps of Discovery, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Spoon River Library, and the University of Illinois Extension's Master Gardeners and Master Naturalists.
More information will be posted soon. Please check back.