- Dickson Mounds, Lewistown
Join us for the annual Fulton-Mason Eagle Day event. Activities include live raptor programs, hands-on activities and crafts for kids, and bird watching in various locations in Lewistown and Havana, Illinois. The event is free and for all ages.
Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N. Dickson Mounds Road, Lewistown, from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.:
- Eagles: Kings of the Sky, Photography by Jeff Moore
- Traveling Science Center
- Arts & crafts and science activities, including chemistry, wetlands, and waterfowl
- Native and invasive species fish displays with electrofishing boat
- Asian carp tasting
- Birds of Prey and electrical safety interactive display
- 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Raptor Awareness with free-flight demonstrations by World Bird Sanctuary. Seating is limited. Free tickets will be available on a first come, first serve basis in the Museum's lobby beginning at 9:00 a.m. the day of the event.
- Emi the Eagle from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- Fulton County Arts Council bake sale
- Food available for purchase by Red's Little Wagon and Jo-Jo's
Emiquon Preserve, off of Route 97/78, Lewistown, from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.:
- Warming station and lakeside activities, including wildlife viewing, hosted by The Nature Conservancy and the University of Illinois-Springfield Therkildsen Field Station
- Emi the Eagle from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Havana Park District's Nature Center, 416 N. Schrader Street, Havana, from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.:
- Wildlife viewing
- Eagle crafts and educational activities for kids
- Food available
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service-Chautauqua National Wildlife Refuge, 19031 E. CR 2110N, Havana:
- Auto Tour route opened from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Wildlife Prairie Park's Birds of Prey from 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the City of Havana, City of Lewistown, Forbes Biological Station, Havana Jaycees, Illinois River Biological Station, Illinois State Museum-Dickson Mounds, Therkildsen Field Station at Emiquon, The Nature Conservancy, USFWS Illinois River Refuges Complex, and Lewistown Chamber of Commerce. Activities and displays contributed by Ameren Illinois, Astoria High School’s Environmental Club, Emiquon Audubon, Fulton County Arts Council, Havana Park District, Illinois River Scenic Byway, USFWS Carterville FWCP Wilmington Substation, University of Illinois Prairie Research Institute's Traveling Science Center, and the University of Illinois Extension's Master Gardeners, Master Naturalists, and 4-H club.
Visitors may also enjoy a stop at Native Trails Winery after the day's activities.