Thank you for planning to visit the Illinois State Museum on your field trip. The following information should help you plan for your trip. When you arrive, please check in at the front desk.
Field Trip Guidelines
Please share these guidelines with your group before you come.
- Chaperones must stay with their students at all times.
- No food, drink, or gum is allowed in the Museum.
- If possible, leave coats, lunches, backpacks, and other belongings on the bus.
- Be respectful of the Museum and other guests by using indoor voices and walking at all times.
- Photographs are allowed in all areas except the art gallery.
The Mary Ann MacLean Play Museum (grades 4 and younger) has its own guidelines which will be shared with your group upon entry.
Field Trip Resources
- ISM Floor Plan
- Parking map: Buses may unload in the west-bound lane directly infront of the Museum. Bus parking can be found in the Capitol Visitor Center Lot (#2 on the map).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the best student to chaperone ratio?
A: We recommend at least one adult for every 10 students.
Q: Can our group eat lunch or a snack at the Museum?
A: No food or drink is allowed in the Museum. Picnic facilities are available at the Capitol Complex Visitor Center, one block west of the Museum.
Q: Do you offer educator-led programs?
A: We are not offering programs led by a museum educator at this time. Please check back with us when you are scheduling your next trip.
Q: I have an activity that I would like the students to complete. Can we bring clipboards and pencils?
A. Yes. (Ink pens are not allowed in the galleries.)
Q: Does the Museum have WiFi?
A: Yes, the Museum has an open WiFi network, but availability may be limited in some areas of the building.