Museum Store Sales Associate
Illinois State Museum Society Retail Department
Company Overview: The Illinois State Museum Society (ISMS) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that supports the educational and research programs of the Illinois State Museum System. The Museum preserves Illinois’ past for Illinois’ future while stimulating discovery, stewardship, and life-long learning about Illinois and the world.
Departmental Overview: The retail department includes an 1800 square foot store and e-commerce operation. The department generates revenue through the sales of goods that provides vital operating revenue for the Illinois State Museum Society.
Job Overview: Sales Associates will assist visitors and customers in the Museum Store located inside the Illinois State Museum in Springfield, Illinois. Associates will greet visitors, answer questions regarding products offered for sale within the store and online.
Specific Job Duties:
- Uphold a superior level of customer service.
- Establish a working relationship with all store staff and fellow Society and Museum staff to support our initiatives and objectives.
- Perform daily activities assigned by store management.
- Process e-commerce orders for shipment.
- Bring positive recognition to Illinois State Museum brand through professionalism, enthusiastic attitude and effective communication.
- Actively greet and assist customers and thank them for visiting.
- Complete sales transactions.
- Represent Illinois State Museum’s values, emphasizing a positive work environment that is fun and unique.
- Ability to effectively maneuver around sales floor with repetitive bending, twisting and prolonged standing.
- Maintain a clean and organized store.
- Restock store product.
- Pricing product when necessary.
- Ability to perform other tasks as assigned from time to time by store management without hesitation.
- Learn and disseminate information about Illinois State Museum exhibits and programs.
- High School Diploma
- Strong customer service skills
- Outgoing and friendly personality
Essential Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and abilities needed for success in the position):
- Upbeat and energetic attitude
- Strong math and communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Hands-on, initiator, and hard worker
- A team player
- Ethical, honest and accountable
- Consistent attention to detail
- Punctuality and reliability, ability to uphold a strong attendance record
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends, occasional evenings and some holidays
- Standing required for long periods of time as needed
- Bend, lift, open, and move product up to 40 pounds as needed
- Must pass a background check
Standard Working Hours:
- 15-20 hours per week.
- Hours of operation are Monday through Saturday 9:00-4:30 and Sunday Noon-5:00.
- Occasional shifts outside of standard operating hours including evenings and holidays may be necessary with prior notice given.
Resumes and three references should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position available October 4, 2021